Story Submissions are Open!
The current short fiction submission period will end April 15, 2018.
You can submit your short stories to On Spec Magazine by clicking the link to our Submittable page. Instructions for registering on Submittable and uploading your story are simple to follow.
Before sending your work to On Spec, we advise you to read the Guidelines for Submission Format carefully. If you have questions about the submission process, please refer to our Submissions FAQ first. If you still have questions they can be sent to onspec(at)onspec.ca.
If your work is a simultaneous submission, we don’t mind, but please let us know by withdrawing your story if you happen to sell it elsewhere before we’ve made a decision.
- The first reader assigned to each manuscript will determine its literary merit and overall suitability for On Spec, and either flag it for the other editors, or send an immediate response to the author.
- After all the stories have been read once and culled, the remaining stories will be read by all the On Spec editors, and ultimately discussed in a face-to-face meeting, where selections are made. This takes some time, as we all volunteer our skills and hours for On Spec, but have other careers, families and lives to attend to. However, the editors aim to respond during the first quarter of the new year.
- You will receive either a rejection letter or an offer of a publication contract in due course. You can track progress and status of your manuscript through your Submittable log-in.
Poetry Submissions are Open
In fact, poetry submissions are open year-round. Please follow the link to our Submittable page and click the appropriate button. To increase the chances of a successful poetry submission, please take a moment to read the guidelines once you are there. As with the stories, you can track the progress of your submission via Submittable.
Art Submissions are Open
And like poetry submissions, are always open. You can submit your art for consideration on our Submittable page, and track the progress of your submission there as well.
ON SPEC buys first North American serial (magazine) rights to your work. We pay upon acceptance.
Pay rates are as follows and in Canadian dollars:
- Poems (4-100 lines): $50 plus one contributor’s copy
- Short-short stories (under 1000 words): $50, plus one contributor’s copy
Fiction (6000 words max.)
- 1000-2999 words: $125 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
- 3000-4999 words: $175 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
- 5000-6000 words: $200 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
Extra copies may be purchased at the following Contributor Rates, regardless if the issues is current or a back issue at the time of the order:
- In Canada: $4.00 Cdn each, plus postage (includes GST
- IN USA: $4.00 US each, plus postage
- Overseas: $4.00 US each, plus postage